વિક્રમ શેઠ, ઓક્સફર્ડશાયર, યુ.કે.માં
|જન્મ||૨૦ જૂન, ૧૯૫૨|
|માતૃ શિક્ષણ સંસ્થા||સેન્ટ મિચેલ્સ હાઈસ્કૂલ, પટણા|
કોર્પ્સ ખિસ્તી કોલેજ, ઓક્સફર્ડ
|લેખન પ્રકાર||નવલકથાઓ, કવિતા, લિબ્રેટો, પ્રવાસ વર્ણન, બાળ સાહિત્ય, જીવનચરિત્ર/સંસ્મરણો|
|નોંધપાત્ર સર્જનો||A Suitable Boy|
The Golden Gate
An Equal Music
A Suitable Girl
વિક્રમ શેઠ (જન્મ: ૨૦ જૂન, ૧૯૫૨) એક ભારતીય નવલકથાકાર અને કવિ છે. He has written several novels and poetry books. He has received several awards including Padma Shri, Sahitya Akademi Award, Pravasi Bharatiya Samman, WH Smith Literary Award and Crossword Book Award. Seth's collections of poetry such as "Mappings" and "Beastly tales", are notable contributions to the Indian English language poetry Canon.
Vikram Seth was born on 20 June 1952 to Leila and Prem Seth in Calcutta (now Kolkata). He spent part of his childhood in Patna since his parents were posted there for a while. He attended St. Xavier's High School.
Seth spent part of his youth in London and returned to India in 1987. He received primary education at Welham Boys' School and then moved to The Doon School. While at Doon, Seth was the editor-in-chief of The Doon School Weekly. After graduating from The Doon School in India, Seth went to Tonbridge School, England to complete his A-levels, where he developed an interest in poetry and learned Chinese. After obtaining a degree from Corpus Christi College, Oxford, Seth moved to California to work on a graduate degree in economics at Stanford University. He then went on to study creative writing at Stanford and classical Chinese poetry at Nanjing University in China.
Having lived in London for many years, Seth now maintains residences near Salisbury, England, where he is a participant in local literary and cultural events, having bought and renovated the house of the Anglican poet George Herbert in 1996, and in Jaipur, India.
In 2006, he became a leader of the campaign against Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, a law against homosexuality. Leila Seth, his mother wrote about Seth's sexuality and her coming to terms with it in her memoir.
His younger brother, Shantum, leads Buddhist meditational tours. His younger sister, Aradhana, is a filmmaker married to an Austrian diplomat and has worked on Deepa Mehta's movies Earth and Fire. (Compare the characters Haresh, Lata, Savita and two of the Chatterji siblings in A Suitable Boy: Seth has been candid in acknowledging that many of his fictional characters are drawn from life; he has said that only the dog Cuddles in A Suitable Boy has his real name "Because he can't sue". Justice Leila Seth has said in her autobiography On Balance that other characters in A Suitable Boy are composites but Haresh is a portrait of her husband Prem.)
Seth detailed in an interview (in the year 2005) in the Australian magazine Good Weekend that he has studied several languages, including Welsh, German and, later, French in addition to Mandarin, English (which he describes as "my instrument" in answer to Indians who query his not writing in his native Hindi, which he reads and writes in the Dēvanāgarī script) and Urdu, which he reads and writes in Nasta'liq script. He plays the Indian flute and the cello and sings German lieder, especially Schubert.
Seth's former literary agent Giles Gordon recalled being interviewed by Seth for the position:
Vikram sat at one end of a long table and he began to grill us. It was absolutely incredible. He wanted to know our literary tastes, our views on poetry, our views on plays, which novelists we liked.
Seth later explained to Gordon that he had passed the interview not because of commercial considerations, but because unlike the others he was the only agent who seemed as interested in his poetry as in his other writing. Seth followed what he has described as "the ludicrous advance for that book" (£250,000 for A Suitable Boy) with £500,000 for An Equal Music and £1.4 million for Two Lives. He prepared an acrostic poem  for his address at Gordon's 2005 memorial service.
- The Golden Gate (1986)
- A Suitable Boy (1993)
- An Equal Music (1999)
- A Suitable Girl (upcoming, 2016)
- Mappings (1980)
- The Humble Administrator's Garden (1985)
- All You Who Sleep Tonight (1990)
- Beastly Tales (1991)
- Three Chinese Poets (1992)
- At Evening (1993)
- The Frog and the Nightingale (1994)
- A Doctor's Journal Entry
- Summer Requiem: A Book of Poems (2012)
બાળ પુસ્તક[ફેરફાર કરો]
- Beastly Tales from Here and There (૧૯૯૧)
તેની અભિવ્યક્તિઓ[ફેરફાર કરો]
- From Heaven Lake: Travels Through Sinkiang and Tibet (૧૯૮૩)
- Two Lives
- The Rivered Earth
- ૧૯૮૩ – થોમસ કૂક ટ્રાવેલ બૂક એવાર્ડ, "ફ઼્રોમ હેવન લેક: ટ્રાવેલ્સ થ્રુ સિન્કિયાંગ એન્ડ તિબેટ" માટે.
- ૧૯૮૫ – રાષ્ટ્રસમૂહ કવિતા પારિતોષિક (એશિયા) (Commonwealth Poetry Prize (Asia)), "ધ હમ્બલ એડમિનીસ્ટ્રેટર ગાર્ડન" માટે.
- ૧૯૮૮ – સાહિત્ય અકાદમી પુરસ્કાર, "ધ ગોલ્ડન ગેટ" માટે.
- ૧૯૯૩ – આઈરિશ ટાઇમ્સ ઈન્ટરનેશનલ ફિક્શન પ્રાઈઝ, "અ સ્યુટેબલ બોય" માટે.
- ૧૯૯૪ – રાષ્ટ્રસમૂહ લેખક પારિતોષિક (Commonwealth Writers Prize) (સમગ્ર વિજેતા, અત્યોત્તમ પુસ્તક), "અ સ્યુટેબલ બોય" માટે.
- ૧૯૯૪ – ડબલ્યુ.એચ. સ્મિથ લાઈબ્રેરી એવૉર્ડ, "અ સ્યુટેબલ બોય" માટે.
- ૧૯૯૯ – વોડાફોન ક્રોસવર્ડ બૂક એવૉર્ડ, "એન ઈક્વલ મ્યુઝીક" માટે.
- ૨૦૦૧ – એમ્મા (EMMA (BT Ethnic and Multicultural Media Award)) એવૉર્ડ, અત્યોત્તમ બૂક "એન ઈક્વલ મ્યુઝીક" માટે.
- ૨૦૦૫ – પ્રવાસી ભારતીય સન્માન
- ૨૦૦૭ – પદ્મશ્રી, સાહિત્ય અને શિક્ષણ માટે.
- ૨૦૧૩ - ૨૫ મહાન વૈશ્વિક ભારતીય જીવંત વ્યક્તિત્વો.
- "Vikram Seth". Desert Island Discs. 22 January 2012. BBC Radio 4. મેળવેલ 18 January 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Vikram Seth's Founder's Day Address, The Doon School, Penguin Books of Modern Speeches (2009) p.34 "...edited the Weekly and did other things"
- Vikram Seth's Art: An Appraisal - Roopali Gupta - Google Books
- "Vikram s Christi College, Oxford".
- Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy: A Reader's Guide - Angela Atkins - Google Books
- Lewis, Leo; Island, Jindo (29 July 2006), "Listening to God's melodies", The Times (London), http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,923-2288533,00.html, retrieved 2007-09-05
- "It Took Me Long To Come To Terms With Myself. Those Were Painful Years.", Outlook India, 2 October 2006, http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?232671, retrieved 2007-09-05
- "Delhi High Court Chief Justice Leila Seth reveals a mother's trial with a leap of faith". Daily Mail. London.
- Gavron, Jeremy (27 March 1999), "A suitable joy", The Guardian (London), http://guardianship/Saturday_review/story/0,,306943,00.html, retrieved 2007-09-05 [હંમેશ માટે મૃત કડી].
- Vikram Seth writes Suitable Boy sequel in The Guardian 3 July 2009[હંમેશ માટે મૃત કડી]
- Bhatia, Shyam (1 September 2003), "Seth to get at least $3 million advance", Rediff.com, http://www.rediff.com/news/2003/sep/01seth.htm?zcc=rl, retrieved 2007-09-05 .
- "આર્કાઇવ ક .પિ". મૂળમાંથી અહીં સંગ્રહિત 2004-08-15. મેળવેલ 2021-07-10.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Vikram Seth", DoonOnline: Features & Spotlights, archived from the original on 2006-05-16, https://web.archive.org/web/20060516082359/http://www.doononline.net/pages/info_features/features_spotlights/spotlights/seth/index.htm, retrieved 2007-09-05 .
- Albertazzi, Silvia (2005-01-20), "An equal music, an alien world: postcolonial literature and the representation of European culture", European Review (Cambridge University Press) 13: 103–113, doi:10.1017/S1062798705000104, http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=276618 .
- "Times of India by Shobha John, TNN: 27 Nov 2011, 05.13 am IST : 'I got drunk to write, says Vikram Seth'", The Times Of India (India), 27 November 2011, http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/sunday-toi/special-report/I-got-drunk-to-write/articleshow/10888180.cms .
- Amit Chaudhuri (ed.). "Vikram Seth (b. 1952)." The Vintage Book of Modern Indian Literature. New York: Vintage, 2004:508–537.
બાહ્ય કડીઓ[ફેરફાર કરો]
- The Telegraph(Love split delayed Suitable Boy sequel) સંગ્રહિત ૨૦૧૫-૦૫-૧૮ ના રોજ વેબેક મશિન
- Vikram Seth fan website
- Literary Encyclopedia biography
- Emory biography
- Contemporary Writers Biography
- Vikram Seth ઇન્ટરનેટ મૂવી ડેટાબેઝ પર
- 1999 BBC audio interview with Vikram Seth સંગ્રહિત ૨૦૧૨-૦૪-૧૨ ના રોજ વેબેક મશિન
- "Poetic License" by Cynthia Haven, "Stanford Magazine," May/June 1999 સંગ્રહિત ૨૦૧૨-૦૭-૦૨ ના રોજ વેબેક મશિન
- video interview with Vikram Seth સંગ્રહિત ૨૦૦૯-૦૩-૦૮ ના રોજ વેબેક મશિન
- 1990 BOMB Magazine interview with Vikram Seth by Ameena Meer સંગ્રહિત ૨૦૧૧-૦૫-૦૨ ના રોજ વેબેક મશિન